i'm super excited! yesterday i called up the hospital and talked to the facility manager about doing my senior practicum on their maternity/surgical ward next summer. he asked if i would consider working there afterwards. of course! (why else would i do my senior there?) he got very excited about it, which got me very excited about it. he described how they're currently expanding the maternity ward (which i knew about) and how they'll be hiring more nursing staff starting in december and how that's really good for me (except that i won't be starting to work until next september, so i don't really know how that's good for me yet). but apparently i shouldn't be too worried about not getting a job there. ha!
then he gave me the name and number of the clinical nurse specialist on the ward and i called her up and we set a day in december when i'm going to come in and job-shadow a nurse for the day - see if i really want to do my practicum there. see if i really want to help deliver babies! weeee! yes i do! so on december 4, the day after my first 2 exams, i'm heading out bright and early and job-shadowing in a place where they are very excited about senior practicum students/new grad nurses! how great is that!!
that's something i'm loving about nursing. we have people coming out to our school and to our clinicals advertising for jobs all the time. "come do your senior practicum with us! come work for us! we love grad nurses!" crazy. yes, apparently there is a shortage of nurses.
the reason that i am so excited about this hospital are the opportunities that i'll have there. i *think* i really want to be an obstetrical nurse. however, "they" suggest that you don't go into something too specialized right out of university, because then you may feel stuck there. they also say that it's good to get some experience on a general medical or surgical ward first, to gain a good set of skills. well, if i get in here, i would have both. the maternity and surgical wards are on the same floor and have the same nursing staff. i'd be getting the best of both worlds.
so that's the reason for my excitement. that, and the fact that my holidays start in less than a month! yippee!
Wednesday, November 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Yes, that is VERY exciting indeed! Way to go! I sure hope your experience in December confirms what you've been thinking all along! That delivering babies and working on the surgical ward would be a great way to start your career! All the best to you! Isn't it great when they let you know that you should have a job you like when you are done all this studying!
mom
WOOO!
That sounds super duper cool, although I'd be more excited about the surgical part than the baby part. Ha!!
I should be studying. Why am I reading this? Oh yeah, because my occipital bone nearly fell off the back of my head from the massive weight of all the knowledge I just crammed into it. My sephnoid bone is feeling squashed, too. And my vomer. And that other one under the eye socket that I can never remember. Lacrimal. I never remember that one. I like saying ZYGOMATIC though. It sounds the name of the latest raygun. Hey boys and girls! Save the world from alien invasion with the new ZYGOMATIC 3000!
Yeah, my brain is essentially goo right now.
Argh. That's Sphenoid. My Sphenoid bone. That horrible green (in my textbook) butterfly Sphenoid bone.
Julia that is so great! I am excited for you. As a pregnant lady thinking about the labor experience I can only hope to have nurses that are as excited about labor and delievery as you are. I really hope it all works out for you. I think you are going to be an amazing nurse and I hope this all works out for you! I am excited for you!
Wow! That's awesome Julia!
That's VERY exciting!
Post a Comment