Sunday, February 03, 2008

things that i will miss about living in an apartment:

-how the guy upstairs, with the extremely creaky floor, knows exactly when we go to bed each night so that 15 minutes later, he can walk around above us in his room for a bit and then go to bed. this is amazing, considering we don't have a regular bedtime.
-the little brat across the hall who loves to jump off the stairs into the sunken living room, rattling our coffee table. daily. and repeatedly.
-after returning from an adventurous camping trip, not having anywhere to dry out our wet tarp and tent fly.
-watching action movies much too quietly.
-listening to daft punk much too quietly.
-the wonderful smells of curry, chinese food, and something indistinguishable wafting through our place, even though we're just eating kd.
-the tight feeling i would get in my tummy when i'd hear someone banging on the window of the guy downstairs, at 11:30 at night, which was when his buddies usually arrived.
-the very lovely white walls.
-the fear that my neighbours might leave meat boiling on the stove while they go grocery shopping and burn down the apartment building.
-the time that almost happened.
-the sounds of the neighbours having a drunken party at 2 am.
-the sounds of the neighbours having sex.
-the silverfish.
-the split second of fear when hearing a man's voice, when i knew i was home alone and just stepping out of the shower, until i realized that it was coming from out in the hallway and, yes, my door was still locked.
-the two windows. yes, i will miss both of them.
-going downstairs and then walking to the very end of a very long hallway to the laundry room, only to find that the dryer didn't actually dry my clothes, and i've already used up my last loonie.

mmmmm. we shall miss you, apartment living.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes- you will miss that apt. even more when your fridge breaks down and you have to pay to buy a new one!!! Man alive- I had to laugh at your list. Made me remember living in apts.! Time does ease the pain. Eventually you won't miss living in apts. THAT much!!! :)
oh- and if you like Livi's swimsuit enough I am sure you could find a matching one for yourself. ramona got it for her.

Anonymous said...

Hey Julia!
I don't have your email so I thought I'd let you know through here - if you check it. If you want to come to Pam's shower it is this Sunday, Feb. 9th at 2:30 at my place. Email me if you want the address or my phone number. amandaguenter@hotmail.com.
Hope you're doing well!
I'm totally going to miss living in my apartment when I move out someday too!
Amanda

Cyndy said...

Oh man. All I know is you will ENJOY the transition. I know I did. And you'll never look back...

Anonymous said...

Hey "when I was your age...." I lived with 2 other roommates in a 1 bedroom apartment. You just have 1 roommate, what's your problem? What about the time I had 4 roommates in a 2 bedroom apartment and 2 of my roommates felt sorry for homeless people and would bring them to our place to sleep on the couch over night? Yah, what about that??? You have it easy girl! What about the time I came home from a 2 week holiday and my wonderful roommate had used my good dishes and I found them covered in mould cuz she didn't bother washing them after using them? Yah, like I said, you've got it easy.... You LOVE your roommate! It's Valentines! Who cares where you live, its with whom you live!!!!
(I am VERY happy for you getting a house! You've waited long for this day!)

love mom