Saturday, April 19, 2008

fondue!

i was beginning to doubt my culinary abilities recently as foods which i've made many times before haven't been turning out as planned lately. but i think that "lately" started when we moved to this apartment. so i think that i'll listen to R and accept that maybe the failed chinese chicken balls on friday were more due to the fact that my range is older than i am and not as reliable as it was, say, back in 1979 (they did promise us new appliances when we moved in last year. yeah... that's not gonna happen anymore is it?).

after an hour of trying to deep fry my chicken balls so that the outside looked good AND the chicken was cooked inside, i gave up. i kept the chicken and yesterday we had a fantastic oil fondue. i have the company's coming fondue book and i made a Basil Garlic Mayo sauce to dip the chicken in, we had "fried cheese" (dip in beaten egg, coat with breadcrumbs & shake-n-bake, repeat, fry in oil fondue - so gooey!), red and green peppers, and i made some biscuits to soak up all the oil in our tummies. mmmm-mmmm! maybe i'm not such a bad cook after all.

4 comments:

Janelle said...

oh my goodness! that looks incredibly yummy! i think we'll have to do that one of these days!! GREAT idea!! :) hope your looking forward to summer soon! :)

Anonymous said...

My goodness that cheese looks good. So do you Juls. Thats a great shot of you!

love mom

Ramona said...

Ok, I'm feeling a bit ill looking at that spread- we did three fondues just after Christmas for a girl's night- the oil one, a cheese one and of course, dessert was the chocolate one. Deep fried mushrooms are really good (I almost didn't try them...)! Can you post the basil garlic mayo sauce recipe? That sounds super yummy.
Is your house started yet???
Ramona
oh, and Cute hair, Julia!

Anonymous said...

what happened?? I just left you a comment on here and I don't see it.......... Anyway- I said that I was going to leave the comment "CUTE HAIR" but Ramona beat me to it- we must be sisters or something! Funny. You've got me hungry again... time for some IKON GRILL Mac 'n cheese!!! ;) Did Ryan cut your hair?????