Friday, February 15, 2008

advice!

yesterday, I worked my very last day of working at a minimum-wage job. it feels really good to be done. the next time i have a job, it will something that's really worth doing (and i'll be making more money in an hour than what i made all morning at the post office. ha!). not that helping people figure out how to mail their international student study permits (and listening to them stumble over the words "xpresspost envelope") or their grad school applications isn't important, because to them at that point in time, it's very important. but selling stamps to people who get angry at me for making the price of stamps go up every year or get upset that i can't get their valentine delivered to a small town in newfoundland by tonight... don't get me wrong - it was wonderful to have a job on campus for the last 3 years. they were so flexible with the schedule, working around my classes, and the people were great. but it sure feels wonderful to know that my university days are almost over.

on a totally different note, i need advice. the latest development with The House is that we are trying to figure out if we want to get the appliances that "come with the house", or do we want to buy our own. they are "lower-end" frigidaire and westinghouse, so they're still good brand names. it's not like they're "e-z-kleen" or something. but they have no bells or whistles.

so.... i want to know. no, i need to know. what do you like about your appliances? what do you hate?

1) fridge?

2) stove? (coils? glass top? will a very old cast iron pan scratch it? convection oven? self-cleaning?)

3) washer? (we are pretty sure that we want front-loading to save energy, water and detergent. but do you really need to use special detergent?)

4) dryer? (stackable washer/dryer? does it matter?)

5) dishwasher? (any opinion?)

advice, people! i need advice!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yipeee! I love giving advice!!!! Ready??? I'd say spend a little more and get appliances that YOU want. This way, you are happy especially if you are staying there for a while. We have replaced every appliance in our house, and have only lived there for what, about 4 years? (wow- I think it is our 4 year anniversary here in a couple weeks!)Fridge- I love my bottom freezer with pull out drawers. Stove- love the glass top- it is super easy to clean. Washer- we just got a front loader, energy saver one. I love it- especially when it was all paid off!!! I wouldn't get stackable (unless they are front loading) becasue we had them in one apt. and they sucked... but again- I have no experience with ones other than that apt. Dishwasher- we have whirlpool I think. i think as along as they are quiet and work!!! Our glass top stove is very durable. No scratches- infact you clean it with a metal scraper! They are very durable. I was actually day dreaming about your new house today and was hoping that it gets built soon so I can see photos of the neighborhood, etc!
HAVE FUN DREAMING!!!!!! (soon you'll be asking what stroller people recommend!! haha- kidding!)

NotsNotes said...

In the UK, everyone uses front loading washing machines. I think I've actually learned to prefer them. I might get stackable washer and driers, but only if I could still have A energy efficient ones. As for stoves, I'd go with gas, cause it's instant control, or if I absolutely couldn't have gas, I'd go with induction, it's the next best thing (they're usually glass topped - easy to keep clean). Ovens,get self-cleaning, but electric (cooks evenly), whichever kind. No more scrubbing and awful fumes! Hurrah!

Basically, my advice would be summed up in this: Get A rated energy efficient appliances, and you'll make your savings back in your power bills. And you feel like you're being nice to the enviroment. A lot of the bells and whistles you can get are personal preferences. I love cooking fancy food, so does James, which means we're probably looking for some slightly different things than you might be. Have fun shopping around before you decide!

Kelsie-Lynn said...

I totally agree with the first comment...spend a little more and get what you are happy with and something you will like for a while. I would totally go for a fridge with the frezzer on the bottom...its my next appliance purchase and I LOVE them.
As for the washer/dryer, I really regret not spending a little more and getting the front load kind. Also make sure that your washer has a Normal setting on it, the sales guy was so smooth and I was so overwhelmed I didn't realize that we didn't have a normal setting till we got home...ergg...anyways I say go for front loading they are amazing! As for the dishwasher we have a Kenmore and I love it for the most part. The one thing I wish I could change is that I would put the cutlery tray in the door and not on the bottom rack. But its not a biggy...well I think that is all the advice I have...Have fun shopping.

Trev and Rebekah said...

We kept the appliances that came with the house. Eventually the dryer died so we had to get another one. I think if the appliances are in good shape then just use them till you need new ones. You save money that way.