i've been doing a lot of thinking lately. we recently learned that my opa has pancreatic cancer. yeah.... not so good. when i found out i wasn't really surprised, since he had been sick for quite awhile and they couldn't figure out why. i was a bit sad, but i was mostly angry. this is my opa! this isn't some case study that we're learning about in class. this isn't a some cold, clinical description in a textbook. this isn't even one of my patients in the hospital. this is my opa.
i was mad. "why now?" i thought. at the time, i was extremely excited about our new house, extremely overwhelmed with school projects, and extremely hopeful for my upcoming graduation. so now i need to be extremely angry and disappointed and sad?? why now?
then i realized that... why not now? honestly, there is NEVER a good time to find out that someone you love is dying of cancer. so, why not now? when would be an appropriate time?
there is a semi-appropriate time to learn certain life lessons, and that is at the beginning of a new career. throughout my time as a student nurse, i have known that my patients weren't just patients - that they were people with a history and a family and friends. i was told that repeatedly and saw it when i talked with family members. but there's knowing something, and then there's KNOWING something. did i really KNOW it, really understand it? now, with my opa, i am really learning that lesson. to his careproviders, he may be just another cancer patient. but he's my grandpa. every single one of my patients is somebody's grandpa, somebody's mother, somebody's son, daughter, husband, wife. and i knew that, but now i understand it. now is a very good time for me to learn this lesson and i plan to take this with me throughout my nursing career.
Wednesday, March 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You are gaining a lot of wisdom kiddo. I'm proud how you have come to grips with this and are an incredible, invaluable support to Opa and Oma. Yes, this experience will definitely make you an understanding caring nurse.
love mom
You are going to make a great nurse. When my Grandpa had his heart attacks I was angry too. He is so young for his age and doesn't deserve to die. And yet I realize that I am not God and that I can't tell Him who can or can not die. I love the wisdom you are learning and I know this will help you with your patients.
Praying your Grandpa gets better and that you have some good memories with him.
I am so sorry your Opa has cancer. But you truly are going to be an amazing nurse. Your heart for others shines through all you do! Thinking of you lots.
A life lesson I am learning is to be excited for Heaven. I think I have too much tying me to this earth. On Good Friday, our pastor's wife shared about her heart attacks 8 years ago and how three times she died and they brought her back to life. Each time she was able to go to Heaven for a short time. AMAZING- her story made me so excited to leave this earth one day in be somewhere.... PERFECT!! Although it is terrible and very sad when people we love are very sick- I will pray for the Lord to reveal his Joy to you in this situation. I will pray that your Opa is painfree. And that through the pain you can be renewed with an excitment for Heaven (does that make sense??) I need to re-read Grandpa's story- mom reminded me that he has some Heaven experiences from his Ont. heart attack.
Post a Comment